Thursday, September 20, 2012

Where Is Our Focus

The Lord is good to those who wait
on Him.  To the soul who seeks Him
It is good to wait and hope quietly.
Lamentations 3:25


It would seem that the majority of my adult life I have been waiting on the Lord to give me direction.  I want know which job to take, which house to rent, what school would be best for the boys.  Constantly I am seeking Him for my own good.  Well He enlightened me the other day and I think I have been missing the point.  Waiting on the Lord should be with the intent of seeing Him - to know Him better.  God doesn't give us seasons of waiting, change or hardship to change us, but rather to seek and know Him.  Change in us is a byproduct.  We can not help but change when we are in His presence.

So often when we are struggling in life we are encouraged to go back and count our blessings; to focus on the things God has done in our lives.  While this is good and does produce a change in our attitude I believe that it is secondary to our main purpose.  We make the mistake of making it about ourselves again.  Look what God has done for me.  It needs to be about Jesus and who He is.  Maybe the next time I am in a mood or experiencing a difficulty I should begin to recount the characteristics of Jesus.  To this end my attention would be taken completely off of me and instead focused entirely on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment