Monday, September 12, 2011

Change On Firm Foundation

Do you like change?  Have you ever met someone who does?  I honestly don't think I have and no I'm not a big fan of it.  Funny thing is my life has been one of change since I was little. My parents didn't own their own home, and though we stayed in the same town, we lived in six different houses growing up.  I went to five different schools, not including college and then graduate school.  Since I've been married I have lived in nine different states and 15 different homes.  Matt and I have worked for four different radio networks and have accomplished multiple jobs for those networks.  I'm not sure if I should be bragging about these stats or humiliated.

I remember as a small child going to a new church and my wise Daddy forcing me to go to Sunday School.  I remember standing in the corner terrified to speak or even look up from the ground I was so intent on.  There were many times like that, and every time I was encouraged to step out of my comfort zone.  Little did Daddy know that he was setting me up for my future, teaching me a lesson to step out in faith even when filled with fear.  I'll admit that I have failed sometimes to face the change with the hand of God at my back following His lead and there are others that I glory in the strength He has given me.

At times I have grown weary with the change.  I lack the desire, even the ability to try.  I once had a dear friend tell me that no matter where I am in life to put down roots and go as deep as I could for that season.  She told me that some day I would be able to not only get through the change and trial to find joy in God's work, but actually know joy as I go through the next one and have joy in anticipation for future change. 

When I see change on the horizon I cringe a little, but as I prepare my heart I am always filled with a sense of awe.  I wonder at how God's hand always leads and provides.  I am reminded of all that He has sacrificed for me.  How can I deny Him the pleasure to change and shape me with the events of my life for His glory.  Herein lies the difference- change without Jesus leaves wandering to and fro on the waves of life.  But with Jesus, change happens on a firm foundation.


1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how God "drops" things in our laps at the perfect moment, huh? As I read this I am sitting and thinking of how to pack boxes for our fifth move in two years. And, of course, the even bigger change of adding two more babies in the next 5-7 months. I so needed that reminder that my foundation remains firm. <3

    ReplyDelete