Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sweet Liberty











The battle cry of the yearly 4th of July BBQ was heard, and we answered it's call with four delectable cupcakes - Coca Cola, Key Lime, Boston Cream & Peanut Butter Cup.
It was time to try our hand at these lil cakes and share them with the world. My first attempt was a Coca Cola Cupcake. I struggled to perfect the frosting & ended up with a super yummy glaze, plus a chocolaty filling. In the end I had a super moist, chocolate cupcake. The flavor of coke was barely there and so I have renamed them Chocolate Dreams. Needless to say, while I was a little disappointed with the over all look of the cake, it tasted so good that none of them made it to the party.

While I consider that battle a bittersweet loss, my Key Limes were a strategic move toward victory. I candied the limes myself by boiling them in sugar water. Next I folded smooth batter with the perfect peaks of meragine to create a cupcake so soft & with just a hint of lime. With Jamie's help I whipped up the perfect topper of cream cheese & lime zest. I was quite pleased with the end result.
Jamie dove into the battle with her Boston Cream Cupcake. It was large & in charge - the big guns in the battle. It was a crowd pleaser! She cliched it with her Peanut Butter Cupcake. I believe my hubby said it was so sweet, it made his cheeks sweat. Now that's what I call putting the sweet in your cheeks!

In the battle of the BBQ, I believe we came & we conquered!








1 comment: