Monday, January 23, 2012

No Plan "B"

As you know we recently moved and due to Matt's new schedule, the un-opened door for private school and public schools that test way below the national average- we decided to homeschool Noah & Isaiah.  I have to admit it has been difficult. Moving in of itself is an adjustment.  But then you add trying to get into the groove of getting through a school day and over 12 hours of  Mom & the boys.  It makes for some challenges.  I have to admit, that my attitude as been less than stellar at times. Life was awesome before all the changes.  The boys loved school, Canon and I had grand adventures each day together, I had time to write and sew and have coffee with friends.  Now I spend the day trying to motivate two little boys through school, while navigating through multiple disagreements and don't forget to add the house work.  Never mind time for making new friends or a little alone time.


All that to say (don't judge me!) I struggle with loving on the boys and loving my life right now.  In the back of my head, I kept telling myself, "try it and if it doesn't work, throw them in the public school.  They belong to God - they'll survive."  But in my heart I know I don't just want them to survive.  I want them to grow into thriving and active men of God.  Over the course of the last month, when I was ready to throw in the towel God has lifted me up.  In church on Sundays and Wednesdays our pastor has been teaching out of 2 Timothy.  The whole book speaks to us about being faithful to the end.  Every time I step into that building God keeps laying on my heart what He has appointed me to do and to fulfill my ministry.

But you be watchful in all things,
endure afflictions, 
do the work of an evangelist,
fulfill your ministry,
~ 2 Timothy 4:5 ~

I know every family is different and God has a different call on everyone's life, but I am convinced of His call to holiness and righteousness in our lives and the command to raise up our children in this way.  I have recently been encouraged through a fellow homeschooling mom and blogger, Erica of Confessions of a Homeschooler.  She said it best in her article "Why We Homeschool" - 

 Deut. 6:5-7 says “Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”

"I wondered to myself, how am I to teach my children when we sit at home, when we walk along the road, when we lie down and when we get up if they are gone all day long? How can I hide God’s word in their heart if most of the opportunities happen when they are at school? How can I truly impress upon their hearts if I only see them at dinner and at bedtime?" - Erica

He has appointed me to be the minister to these boys.  My ministry is to disciple them in the way of Jesus.  And He has very clearly laid it on my heart that the only way to accomplish this at this time is to keep them home.  There is no plan "B".

So we are going to keep going and not give up.  I place it all in His mighty hands to work out.  Perhaps for you the struggle isn't home life.  Maybe it's a job or maybe a relationship.  I encourage you to not give up.  Whatever ministry God has put in your life - fulfill it!  The rad thing about God is He doesn't just call us to something and then leave us to figure it out.  He empowers us.  He strengthens us.

But the Lord stood with me,
and strengthened me, so that the message 
might be fully preached.
~ 2 Timothy 4:17 ~




Ps. Be sure to check out Erica at confessionsofahomeschooler.com!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your transparency in this post. I always wonder how homeschooling moms can do it. I love Jordyn so much, but I find myself running out of patience with her.
    I believe that this no alone time will only be a temporary season. In the meantime, you are obeying God and raising some wonderful young men. And you're right, there's no Plan B....we have to follow the path that God has given us. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you for your perseverance and dedication. There is a war going on and we must choose a side. No fence sitting and no sideline protesting will help us achieve God's best for our families. Hang in ther Kelly.
    11 Cor 10:3-5

    ReplyDelete